With an electrifing supply of caffeine in my body I was ready to hit the bazzar with my friends, Tiziana and Donatella. During the car ride to San Benedetto, where the market was, I learned a few phrases. And really, the only phrase I needed to arm myself with that day was, costo troppo.
We get to the market before 8am and it was already a hot summer day. All the vendors were set up and the shoppers were ready, too. It was huge. There were tons of shoes, hand bags, clothes, house hold items, you name it.
I found a pair of shorts that I liked and asked for the price, "quando costo?" The merchant told me 15 Euros. Eh, that was probably slightly inflated, but ok. Donatella and Tiziana looked at me and waited for me to respond. "Costo troppo!" I exclaimed with the best exaggerated Italian accent and gesture I could produce. The merchants starred in disbelif and didn't know what to do. My friends just laughed up a storm because they taught me to say that to every price a merchant offers, even if it is a penny. I basically said, "That's way overpriced!" with huge attitude.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment