I went for a walk today and met my new friend, Angelo. After having a big lunch I decided it would be good to walk it off a bit. I headed out and continued for 30 minutes in one direction. It would be easy to find my way back this way. The sky was cloudy and overcast, which made for pleasant walking conditions.
At this point I've walked past the town. The sidewalk ended and I probably should have stopped walking on this road. There wasn't much of a shoulder on this mountainous 2 way street. I could see the ocean the whole time and wanted to see how far I could make it on this road.
Somewhere along the way I was startled by a stray dog. He started sniffing me and following me for a few feet. "Get away!" I told him as I didn't want to have any ticks from a stray dog. He wouldn't leave until another stray started barking at him. Now it is starting to drizzle and the sun will be going down soon. I turn around headed for home.
The black dog rejoins me and I do my best to shoo him off. I tell him to leave, but he just smiles at me and wags his taile. I stopped to look at him and he is rather cute actually. Shiney black coat, fit and a wagging tail. Whatever. If he wants to walk with me he can. So we share the road together. I keep a quick pace and pay no attention to him.
The road is slick from the rain. Cars are zipping by. Visibility is mediocre.
The dog starts walking in a "S" curve back and forth between the edges of the road. I thought this was what stray dogs did. I thought they walked this way because they were always hunting for something or marking their territory. It wasn't until he stood on my feet that I realized what he was doing. He was keeping me safe on my walk home. As he walked the "S" curve all the cars slowed down as they approached us because they could see him. He would often run ahead to see if there were any oncoming cars. Then, he would come back and get me as if to say, "the coast is clear." And at times he would stand on my feet preventing me from walking until it was safe again. He escorted me all the into town and to my house. Even the dogs in Italy are full of love.
Angelo. That's what I've named my dog.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment