Ciao Everyone! I made it to Italy! What a feat.
The flight to Germany was mostly smooth and I had a 5 hour lay over in Munich. Then the 1 hour flight to Rome was quite easy. From there it was incredible that I could find the train and bus (with transfer) all the way across the country to Giulianova...all the while without knowing any Italian. My hosts asked me how I made it to Giulianova. I said by God's will. Truly!
When I landed I bought a calling card but couldn't reach my English speaking contact, Tiziana. I left a message, but she had no number to reach me at since I didn't have an Italian cell phone number yet. They didnt sell sim cards at the airport. Oh it was so funny. However, I never once worried. I said on the message to her that I was just going to find my way over to Giulianova and figure it out. From within the airport is a bridge leading to the train system, Trenitalia. I step into a sea of commuters going home at the 5:30pm rush hour. All signs were in Italian and I have yet to learn the language. I look at my Italian phrase book, which my brother bought me at the Newark Airport minutes before departure. Thank god for big brothers! I clear my throat and bellow out into the mad rush of finely tailored suits, "Eh, scuzzi! Dov'e la trein a Tiburtina?" Luckily, this exquisitly dressed business man spoke English. He must have taken one look at me with my 4 foot tall back pack and rolling carry-on and made the snap judgement that this chick is American. He directed me down a corridor and said to keep going. And so I did.
Having traveled quite a bit in the past, I know not to show obvious signs of being a tourist. I think my cover is blown at this point. I see no other backpackers in sight.
I find the station and there are half a dozen ticket vendors, as well as, several self-serve kiosks. There was one huge line with the official Trenitalia and none with the other vendors. Why is this? Naturally, I went to one of the open vendors and asked if the prices were the same with each vendor. He said yes. So I asked why everyone was only on that line. He shrugged his shoulders. Well, I don't do lines, so I bought my ticket there. Soon lines were forming behind me and I confirmed that the prices really were the same with all the vendors. Strange, but something good to know if you are traveling here.
I arrive to the Tiburtina Stazione by train in order to catch the bus to Giulianova. The bus station is somewhere outside amongst an array of options. Hmm...what to do? I know enough at this point to as, "Where is the bus station for Giulianova?" However, I discovered that I did not know enough to understand the answer. Oops! Sign language has always been something I was interested in learning. And the Italian "sign language" is another story. They are quite expressive with their gestures and body language. Anyway, I get the idea and keep it moving. I decided to wait on this slow moving line, only to find out it wasn't the one for Giulianova. Bad decision. I quickly find the appropriate window and buy my ticket. The bus arrives and I ask to confirm if it is the bus to Giulianova. Again, I had no understanding of the language and at the speed of his speech I simply nodded and smiled. That usually works.
I slept for much of the way across the country. At this point I've probably been traveling for about 14 hours or so.
I called Tiziana again before I got on the bus. No go. There wouldn't be a chance to call her again since I'd be in transit the whole time. By the time I reached Giulianova it was 10:30pm. The payphones were a bit tricky and I was able to find some assistance from a young boy. I dial the number and the first phone was broken. The next phone was the only other phone left. I dial...and Tiziana picks up on the first ring. Ah! Victorious! Raffael will meet me by foot and she is driving over right away. I am to wait at the bus station. Then the phone dies and we are disconnected.
Less than a minute later there we all were kissing and embracing as Italians do. I meet a van load of loving parents. Ahhh...I exhale and feel right at home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment